What is the Google Keyword Planner?
Google Keyword Planner tool is a useful resource for building strong keyword lists and helping to get your PPC campaign off to a running start. It’s a tool for generating keyword ideas and bid estimations can help you plan your marketing strategy.
It was formerly known as the Google Keyword Tool. The Google Keyword Tool was reachable under its own URL and free to use for everyone. In 2016, Google replaced the Google Keyword Tool under the umbrella of Google Ads (AdWords) controlling its use within the AdWords account. You can log-in with a Gmail account to access the Keyword Planner.
Google Keyword Planner advertisers’ can determine what level of traffic can potentially be obtained with a certain budget and campaign. This tool also offers the opportunity to estimate the possible costs of an advertising group. Its main objective is to help you find the most appropriate keywords for your campaigns, content, SEO, etc.
Google Keyword Planner is an online tool to search, analyze and use different keywords that can boost your website’s traffic. It’s helpful in finding relevant and genuine keywords for your content. When you type any keyword related to your content, Google keyword planner will give you numerous results that include similar keywords, monthly and weekly search and cost for that particular keyword. You can also add different filters like for which country or for which business group you want to target, etc.
Importance of Google Keyword Planner with few reasons as:-
- It provides keyword ideas that you can use in your content.
- It shows you how many times a keyword was searched for.
- It allows you to find themes and subtopics for your blog.
- It allows you to search by geographic location.
- It gives you to concentrate your efforts on the quality of words, not quantity.
Google Keyword Planner is an elementary tool for planning SEO and content marketing campaigns. It’s the only place to get search data like keyword ideas, trends, and search volume directly from Google.
Google Keyword Planner is purely based on a commercial angle, but you can still find-out potential keywords for your niche. It’s built to support more PPC ads and advertisers rather than any freelancer SEOs or niche marketers. Google gives much importance to their paid customers. But we can implement a profitable strategy to build your online business via Keyword Planner.
How to Use Google Keyword Planner:-
- You’ve to go to Google AdWords >> Tools >> Keyword Planner
- Click Sign in using Gmail account
- On the Welcome screen, don’t fill any fields, click on the Continue. Instead, click on the Skip the Guided Setup.
- On the next page, enter an email address, country, time zone, and currency. Remember, you can’t reverse or change these details in future, once filled and saved.
- Next, in the Google Ads (AdWords) dashboard, click on the Tools icon. Under Planning, menu clicks on Keyword Planner.
- Now, you can use Google Keyword Planner to find the keywords for your websites with ad copies.
- You’ll also get different metrics including search volume, PPC competition, CPC range, etc. You can ad campaign from here to get more insights for your business.
- The options of targeting based on Location, Language, and Search network are also available here.
- The Keyword Planner page gives you the option to select what your intent is to find keywords ideas or to Get search volume and forecasts. You can get all the information about the keywords available with you and also the keywords that could become a prospect.
Keyword Research with Google Keyword Planner –
Keyword Research – Keyword research has a significant role in on-page optimization. It’s more about selecting a bunch of keywords which suits your content with some search volume. It’s a continuous process to identify and take on keywords that can generate a good amount of search volume. It’s a concept to get keywords will less investment cost and low search volume competition to optimize and increase the website’s visibility. Keywords describe your business or product which help your potential visitors find you online. When you’re looking for a profitable niche keyword on Google Keyword Planner, you’ll see two points:-
- Low Competition Keywords with High CPC – It’s useful for niche marketers.
- Low Competition Keywords with Low CPC – It’s useful for SEO projects /clients.
You’ve to always make sure to find out low competition keywords for better conversion and leads. Because the high competition keywords have already occupied by bigger brands.
Types of keyword Search – There are three types of keywords search options available in Google keyword planner:-
- Exact match keywords – These keywords are used for micro niche and some exclusive websites or blogs. These keywords are used when the user is fully aware of your website. The costs of these keywords are very less with minimum competition while making ads.
- Broad match keywords – These keywords are used for newly build websites. It gives freedom to use long-tail keywords. When you are not aware of your reviewing website and searching for something, then chances of your website appearing in SERP increases.
- Phrase match keywords – These keywords are used when you need exact phrases.
Tips for Keyword Research –
- Think like your audience. Consider the main category of your business. Your customers might use to search for your brand with listed words and phrases.
- The keywords should be relevant to your landing pages. People will find what they’re looking for when a search takes them to your page.
- You should experiment with broad-match and phrase-match keywords.
- You should focus on the target audience and try searching for keywords specific to a single product or service. It can attract your ideal customer.
- Google Keyword Planner can be used to optimize social media ads. You can check your competition by entering the URL and scope out their keywords. Learn from historical statistics for the capability of your niche.
Importance of Keyword Research – A right keyword searching and planning can run your marketing campaigns at a very reasonable cost. It can boost your website’s traffic. There are two major reasons for keyword research and planning as:-
- Keyword Refinement – It’s an act of lowering the discrepancy ratio between search terms and keyword to get them closer to help improve CTR, quality scores, and average CPC.
- Keyword Expansion – It’s an act of finding new root keywords that you’re currently not getting impressions. You’ll be able to increase impressions, clicks, and conversions by adding them.
How to use Keyword Results – Once you’ve selected the best keywords, there are many places you can use them including:-
- Page Titles
- Meta Description
- Image (File name, titles, and alt text)
You must use your keywords within your content, blog posts, articles, and social media posts.
Different Aspects of Google Keyword Planner –
Search for New Keywords using Phrase, Website, or Category – It removes a lot of work for its customers. Here, you can enter a central keyword and Google keyword planner will deliver matching suggestions in terms of a search region. These suggestions can also be decided on supporting a URL. This function can be used to check the keyword lists of competitors. It’ll allow you to quickly find brand new keywords using individual search options.
- Product/Service – You can type multiple root keywords to find synonyms, similar terms, and other relevant keywords to show in the results.
- Landing page – Here, Google will scan your landing page to understand your product or service.
- Product category – Here, you’ll have a dropdown of pre-selected lists of categories.
Search for Keywords based on Main Category – You can find further keywords when you enter the main keyword into Google keyword planner and start the searching. It’ll find out keywords for possible advertising groups. Google keyword planner allows you to find out the highest traffic keywords in your niche with less competition. It allows you to upload the two lists with keywords and then it provides a combination of both and possible new long-tail keywords.
- Get Search Volume and Forecasts – This option allows you to enter a list of keywords to get performance forecast for your keywords as well as historical statistics (average monthly searches). It’ll show you a display of range, not an exact number. If you have a list of keywords, then you can check how they’d perform. It’s also helpful to generate new keyword ideas.
- Choose the Best Keywords – You’ll see search volume and competition of the keywords and a list of suggested keywords.
- Filter Options – The filter section allows you to customize the search. There are filters over the page such as Location, Language, Search networks and Date range.
- Location – You can make a choice for a specific geographical region based on your audience. Keyword volume changes according to the demographics. It’s an important tool for Local SEO.
- Language – It’s useful to target an audience that uses a specific language. It turns out to be useful when your website is available in multiple languages.
- Google Search Partners – You may use Google or Google search partners to find keyword search behavior of the audiences. This option will give you keywords across powerful websites also.
- Date Range – You can identify the average monthly searches over the selected duration. You can also make it comparison based results. It’ll help you to identify the best performing keywords over a particular duration or a festive season to drive a special campaign.
- Domain or Landing Page – You can also use a domain or landing page to build a keyword list. You can review these keywords to determine if they are relevant to your products or services depending on the website. Negative Keywords – sometimes the keyword planner will recommend keywords which are not relevant to your business based on your keywords or domain entry. It’s an excellent opportunity to expand your negative keyword list. The more strong your negative list inside your account the better.
Features of Google Keyword Planner – Some basic features of Google Keyword Planner are as:-
- Competition – It provides a quick analysis of your competitors. If the keyword is rare then it shows a high status in the competition column. If the keyword is fresh then it shows a low competition. It’ll help you in making a judgment whether to add that keyword or not.
- Global monthly search – It provides data for the average search of selected keyword that happened in the past 12 months.
- Local monthly search – It provides the result on the basis of filters applied to see data as per your requirement.
- Cost-per-click (CPC) – It shows you approximate cost per click to pay for a particular keyword for your ad campaign in Google Ads (AdWords).
Benefits of Google Keyword Planner:-
Geographical / Location-based Data Information – When you know more about what’s being searched for and where it’s helpful to create the most effective ads on other platforms also. You can use a location-based filter to look at the reach of your product or service to promote. You can find out which locations specific ads perform better than others. You can focus your ads on those particular locations to generate more customers.
Discover Seasonal Trends – Google Keyword Planner data can be used to learn about how interest in certain products develops from time to time. It also uncovers how searches for a particular product are relatively consistent throughout the year. Digital marketers can adjust their plans to target the right people at the right time with this information.
Competitors Research – It can be used to research keywords related to certain search terms. You can start with URL and website, instead of using a search term. You’ll be able to see the keywords related to your competitors’ website. It can help you identify which keywords are the most and least successful for you and your competition.
Content Creation Guidance – Google Keyword Planner helps to learn how your audience is searching for your products and services. You can develop a content strategy that addresses the selling points of your solution with these stone keywords. You can check out average monthly searches to see how keywords are ranked over time. If there are very few searches for a particular keyword, you can leave that term. Instead, focus on the terms with highest rankings.
Export or Download a Keywords List – You can export or download a keyword list from the Google Keyword Planner by clicking the Download Keyword Ideas button. You can cross check your keyword list with other keyword research to get the best results. You can select specific keywords to export or download; otherwise, you can export the entire list.
Result Forecasting – The forecasting graph is great for estimating the best possible CPC for your targeting keywords. You can find out the point on the graph where your CPC bids reaching low returns and you can compare that number to your Return on Ad Spend (ROAS).
Device Based Advertising Strategy – The device estimates will give you can an idea of the distribution of clicks across various devices at your keywords. These estimates will help you to run an ad. If you get more action on mobile, you can focus more on mobile-friendly marketing and advertising.
Conclusion – Google keyword Planner shows you keywords on the basis of your requirement. If you’re not making any ad campaign then you don’t need to focus on CPC. Only precise and meaningful keywords can promote your website’s ranking on SERP.