What is Email Marketing?
Email Marketing is the most effective tool to advertise on the internet. Email marketing came into action about when a company sends promotional messages or materials to groups of people by email. These messages contain advertisements, commercial messages, sales, or a call for business.
In Email marketing, you’ll build relations that lead to better business results, like more calls, more sales, and more subscribers. You can grow your database in connecting with your current and potential customers.
Marketers take out their email campaigns by using different types of emails:-
- Transactional Email– These emails arrive in customers’ inbox once they’ve done business with a seller. These emails guide the customer to complete a transaction. These transactional messages are an electronic invoice, email receipts, or purchase order.
- Direct Email – These emails represent promotional material like announcements, special offers, discounts or product catalog. This type of content shouldn’t be overused. It’s a good way to encourage your subscribers. You keep it short and to the point. These emails are sending irregularly.
- Welcome Email – Customers receive these emails when they sign up for a mailing list. Your customers know they have subscribed to a regular update that will take them on a journey through your product/service. No customer will buy every product/service you offer, but your newsletter provides them value.
Email Marketing Campaigns – A good emails marketing campaign first introduces a problem of your audiences and give the solution to them. It may be in the form of a product/service with benefits and value of offer with successful results. You need to consider the interests of your target audiences. It’s important to send messages that are relevant and add value to the customer. The objective is to get the recipient to read and understand the content of your message. Use images as supplementary content in your emails, and make sure you have enough text to communicate value.
You need to consider a few important points before drafting your email marketing campaign:-
- Subject Line – Your efforts to create great products/services, your branding, and convert audiences to your email lists depends on an effective subject line. Interest, curiosity, and engagement are fundamental qualities of a perfect subject line. Create a sense of shortage or urgency with subject lines that encourage subscribers to act now.
- Measuring Performance – You need to understand your delivery rate, open rate, unsubscribe rate, click-through-rate, growth rate, email forwarding rate etc. You can experiment with different offers, subject lines, calls to action and timing to improve conversion rates.
- Conversion Rates – Conversion rates are dependent on factors such as quality of landing page. Experiment using A/B split test by directing the same email to two different landing pages to figure out which landing page works best. You can do the same with email messages and subject lines as well. You need the conversion of leads into sell and the key to email conversions is to nurture them using the content.
- Stay out of spam folder – Don’t buy email lists. The subscribers won’t have permitted and the inevitable excess of dead emails and spam traps that will show to ISP (Internet Service Provider) that you are a spammer. Spam filters will analyze your content, so avoid words such as free / promo etc. Use a reputable ESP (Email Service Provider). You should make sure that your recipients have opted into your emails so you aren’t breaching any regulations.
- Best time to Send Emails – Execute your industry research and think before that why you’re sending your emails on a certain day and time. There is no guarantee as to what is the perfect time. It can change from sector to sector, and as per your demographic list of your customers. It’s probably not the perfect time to send emails on the weekend. Start of the week and midweek is the best time to perform.
- Test before your send – Never send anything without making sure it’s working properly. A/B testing can reveal a great amount of data about your audiences. A/B testing of subject lines, calls to action, personalization, email copy, images or messages ensure the email content is effective before sending to audiences.
- Mobile Devices – Mobile devices have become so common, people are checking their emails all the time. Many people get in touch with only their mobile phones only. If your emails aren’t optimized for viewing on these mobile devices, you may potentially miss out the huge number of clicks.
There are factors to keep in mind as creating email messages in order to build a relationship with audiences:-
- Knowledge – In email messages, you share your knowledge and expertise on your industry-specific matters.
- Inspire – When you inspire people to create something new, your audiences will like you and keep you in mind when they find any obstacles. Inspiring your audiences will lead to amiability and trust.
- Entertainment – You have to offer your material in a way that your audience enjoys.
Email marketing has several benefits which include:-
- Segmentation – Email marketing campaigns can be customized with specific customer data. In email marketing, you can segment your audiences into lists and can send each list a customized message. Your subscribers can receive messages that they are interested in. Email campaigns are highly targeted, with a segment based on region, gender, product interest, lifestyle, type of customer, etc. It allows you to address people individually by name, split certain topics for different readers of your list and arrive privately in their personal inbox. Email with subject lines that include the recipient’s name is more likely to open.
- Effective ROI – Email marketing channel is generating the highest ROI for marketers. It is the way to go when it comes to converting audiences into customers or supporters. Email has excessive ROI than social media. In an email marketing campaign, you can accurately track return on investment (ROI).
- Permission-based – Email marketing can allow for a much higher conversion rate because it only targeting those who already have an interest in your brand. Your marketing list will be made up of subscribers who have actively chosen to receive emails from you. It is possible to send unwanted email messages, but this will only annoy to customers and result in the damaged brand image.
- Flexible Design – Most successful campaigns utilize simple plain text email messages, it’s the content of an email that is the most important thing. You can send plain text, graphics or videos whichever suits your message best.
- Shareable – Subscribers can forward dazzling deals and offers to their friends at the click of a button. It is easy for people to forward and share your email content, building your reputation by word of mouth. Subscribers could become a brand messenger, focus on introducing your business to a new market.
- Measurable – It is easy to see where you’re going wrong. Email marketing campaigns can be measured in details through open rate, click-through-rate, and conversion rate. You can assess the success of a campaign by using web analytics software. With email marketing software, you can track open rate, click-through, and how many people unsubscribed. You can test different copy, subject lines, and designs. You can optimize your future campaigns. Email marketing metrics are important to remember as you monitor and measure your strategy as a whole.
- Cost Effective – Email marketing is inexpensive, effective, and easy. It has a lower cost compared to mainstream marketing channels. Email marketing allows you to reach a large number of customers at a rate of very low cost per message. Email marketing is much lower than in other forms of marketing. There is no advertising fees, print media or space costs. Email provides a cost-effective method to test a variety of marketing content. It includes visual creative, marketing copy and multimedia. Many email marketing tools offer a free tier of service and low prices when you require more functionality and features.
- Time-Saving – You can trigger emails to be sent to customers based on an action they have performed on your website. You can reach extensive numbers of email subscribers who chose to receive email communications on subjects of interest. Email marketing lets you instantly send a message to thousands of people across the world.
- Action Oriented – Email is transactional by nature and you can use it to direct traffic to your website and ultimately drive sales. Transactional emails have more opens and clicks than any other type of email and can generate more revenue. Direct email marketing produces a higher response rate and higher average order value for e-commerce business.
- Engaging Your Customers – Email that simply advertises your products/services, or informs your customers of current offers are essentially self-driving. You offer your clients that they value first and they repay with buying from you. Email marketing is the best and important tools in the modern-day business to build a relationship with your audiences and develop a trusting relationship with them.
- Offering Value – Email marketing is not simply advertising. It can help build trust with your audiences. Email marketing is important for building a relationship with prospective customers, and existing customers because it gives you a chance to speak directly to them, in their inbox, at a convenient time.
The different Email marketing tools are available in the market from small to medium size marketing company:-
- MailChimp – It’s free up to the first 2000 subscribers, after which you can upgrade to a pro version. You can create a database of subscribers through this service and easily create an email with a range of templates and monitor your campaigns. In MailChimp, you can create different lists for different goals allowing you to further segment the lists targeting a specific group of subscribers. You can integrate your eCommerce store straight into your MailChimp account to create targeted campaigns, automate follow-ups emails and recommend products/services. MailChimp is great for small and medium businesses with a large amount of functionality that is essential for email marketing campaigns.
- Hubspot – It is the choice for serious marketers those who want to take their email marketing to the next level. There is a facility to create emails through a drag and drop system. This is a great tool for those who don’t have time. There is a full monitoring service that allows the tracking of customer interactions and the ROI from any campaign. It offers a large service for delivering emails on time and monitoring them through A/B testing and analytics.
- Litmus – It allows you to check the layout, colors, subject line, and fonts, and run tests via different spam filters prior to sending an email campaign. You’ll make sure that your emails look good across all apps, email clients, and devices.
Conclusion – Email marketing is a combination of good planning and analyzing data to make improvements to any campaigns. Emails enhance the relationship with your current and potential customers and encourage repeat business.