What is Google Trends?
Google Trends is a free tool that allows you to find out what topics are trending at any moment by tracking the number of searches around a given topic. Google Trends presents the data in visual charts. It allows users to compare similar search terms, highlighting related queries and providing information on interest by region.
Google Trends analyzes own database to estimated how many searches have been done for terms entered, relative to the total number of Google searches in the time frame. Google itself admits that the Trends results may contain inaccuracies for a number of reasons, including data sampling issues and a variety of approximations that are used to compute results. Google Trends can provide marketers with individual insights into how people search on the world’s most popular search engine. Its service has a bunch of filters and options to help you make your requests more precise. It’s the point where Google Trends content marketing gets useful for creating super targeted content.
Google Trends is a key resource for digital marketers’ right through trends. You’ll find information on different search terms that have developed by region, by date, and commonly related queries, which can help inform your marketing approach. It’s a valuable tool for content creators, with the charts and graphics. It provides quick reference insight, which you can repurpose to compliment your insights. It allows you to compare the trends and popularity of any search terms. It derived from Google’s search data. Trends are a numeric or historic representation of the relative volume of searches made on Google. Google Trends use is simple and very spontaneous. You can start entering a search term or topic on the query box.
You can select from several filtering options:-
- Region – It allows you to define your search by worldwide, country, state or city/metro area.
- Time Frame – It allows you to select a variety of predefined time frames or set a custom period.
- Categories – It allows you to limit the terms and search volume to a certain category. It also allows you to look at specific trends and discover new themes/searches.
- Search Engines – This option lets you choose between News, Web Video and Shopping search, which offer great flexibility depending on the brand and vertical. It allows you to focus on the right intent learning through video search or buying through shopping search.
How to Use Google Trends – It’s is a free tool and open for anyone to use. You can navigate to Google Trends and you’ll see the dashboard. You’ll find the trending stories or you can enter topics into the search box. You’ve to type in your search term in Explore Topics box and hit Enter. You’ll get the result which includes:-
- Interest over time-period – It allows up to 5 years of data display.
- Interest over the region-wise – It’ll show the results based on region or city.
- Related topics – You can sort the results by Rising and Top parameter.
- Related queries – You can similarly sort the results by Rising and Top stats.
You can choose the arrow button on the right-hand side of each report to download or to export in different formats include:-
- Share – You can share the graph on social platforms like, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, LinkedIn, etc.
- Download – It allows you to download the data in.CSV format too.
#9 Best Ways to Improving Your Business with Google Trends:-
- Keyword Research – In order to increase traffic to your website, a solid SEO strategy is needed. Here, it’s easier to find out what particular words are queried on a frequent basis. It seems the most obvious SEO based use for trends. But it’s often overlooked in favor of Keyword Planner and the other industry standard tools. It’ll suggest new keywords based on different criteria in the Keyword Planner. If a marketer can target trending queries before they peak, then competition will be lower and potential rewards will be greater. It’s a great tool for identifying keywords to boost SEO efforts. On the Google Trends dashboard, you’ll see a bar Explore Topics. It allows you to enter any search term to find out which term is more sought-after on Google. You can use the highest number of search term in your marketing content. The high number of searches reflects two things:-
- You can align your content with the more commonly online search term and you’re more likely to be discovered online when your potential customers are searching for. It’ll easier to find you for them by using the same words they’re looking up on Google.
- You can use the search term which is more commonly used in day-to-day conversations. Speak the same language as your audience.
- Identify the Latest Trends – It provides real-time data. There are ample content marketing and SEO tools available in the market, but no-one can provide data as reliable as Google serves from its own databases. Google Trends’ shows a range of different and trending information from various countries. It includes the featured insights at the top of the page and trending stories under it. This information can be particularly useful as such hot topics can be used by an advertiser in order to create content and shape up strategies. Google Trends does a good job of painting an intuitive picture of trends within a given industry.
- Monitor Marketing Performance – It can help you discover how much activity or interest is being shown towards your product or brand. The Search Volume Index can help you discover in what periods your brand or keyword is most often looked up, allowing you to view the popularity peaks and the times in which people don’t interact as much with your product or brand.
- Competitor Comparison – It can be used to analyze your competitors’ performances. It’s not the deepest form of competitor analysis, but it’ll give you a good picture of how often their product, brand or service is being looked upon on Google’s search engines. It can create an attractive visual for competitor comparison. It provides a nice quick and muddy overview of overall performance, based upon brand searches. You can also use Google Trends to monitor your competitors’ as well as own popularity.
- Relevancy & Research – On the homepage, there are lists of recently trending search phrases. This feature allows you to go into deep into each trending phrase to discover what people are searching for and any news media surrounding that topic. It provides instant insight into what’s sparking interest in the public’s mind regarding that subject, which can be highly beneficial for small businesses that don’t have access to custom polling and ongoing marketing research. A popular topic can encourage to a successful blog post, tweet, or new product or service offering. It can prevent a misstep and save your valuable time, and money. Knowing what people are talking about and why they care, is a key to understanding your market.
- Seasonal & Time Duration for Campaigns – It doesn’t tell you what is trending, but it also shows you during what period of time it’s most popular. You can see data from any time range, whether it’s the past hour, the last 90 days, or over the past 5 years. If you have a specific amount of time in mind, you can create your own custom time range. Understanding when people are searching for your business, products, or service can help determine when to run marketing campaigns and when to offer particular products. You may find your products or services also have a recurring popular timeframe. Knowing and capitalizing on those customer needs can make a difference in both brand awareness and revenue.
- Geographical Awareness – If you sell products or service online, you may learn that you have a market in another state or country that you were not aware of. This tool could be extremely helpful for determining which geographical areas are most interested in your services. It can prompt competitive research into where your competition is currently succeeding and where there may be room for you to acquire market share. Then you may run a localized paid search campaign in an area interested in your service or tailoring your products and services to interests in that location. It’s possible to see what countries or regions have a strong interest in the keyword you have reached. This valuable information can help you set up effective ad campaigns and help you target the right audiences.
- Brand Health & Competitive Analysis – It can be difficult to measure brand awareness and outlook as a small business. You can get customer feedback and measure Facebook followers but how much does that really tell you about your business within the industry landscape. Google Trends gives you valuable data on your business’s popularity against other competitors in a few clicks. Google Trends has Compare functionality where you can compare two different search queries. It makes it easy to directly compare your business’s name against a competitor’s. It’ll show you how trending you are against your competitors in search volume, location, and seasonality popularity. It’s an exceptional way to learn who is doing well and follow similar strategies.
- Content Creation Strategy – Google Trends is ideal for content creation. The latest stories, recent trends, and related queries functionalities. It’s easy to know what information people are already seeking out. Creating content around relevant, timely topics is an easy way to increase engagement for both current and potential audiences. When you see a trending topic relevant to your business, take advantage of that interest with blog posts, marketing emails, and on your social media. Google Trends is already doing the majority of research for you. Market research and data analysis can be expensive and time-consuming. Learning how to use the basics to inform everything from marketing strategy to new storefront locations can make the difference in engagement and revenue.
Google Trends is great for laying the groundwork on content creation. It’ll not show you what to create, but it’ll show you what’s currently popular and what’s gaining popularity. You should create a worth sharing content, which will further your own authority and visibility within your industry. You can quickly determine what’s downward trending. There’s nothing worse than creating a new piece of content on a subject that is quickly losing favor within the industry. Relevant and popular content is key to a digital strategy and SEO success. The relevance and timing is key to popular content. Google Trends is a great technique to know what people are talking about. The more important is what kind of content they’re going to enjoy and when they’ll enjoy it most.
If your competitors’ content has gone viral or gained popularity which may be linked to or mentioned in the News Headlines section. Then you can check here. The related queries section will show you what else users are searching for when they search for your term. It gives you an idea of how your search term relates to other similar topics. This section is divided into two parts – Top queries and Rising queries. Top queries are popular searches. Rising queries are searches that have recently begun to gain momentum on the web. Google Trends is useful for big-picture gathering, niche insights, and tracking and capitalizing on trends if you’re doing content creation.
Conclusion – Google Trends has changed a lot over the years but the fundamental theory remains the same. It’s great for industry keyword exploration. It’s still important to understand key industry terms, the current overall search volume as well as historically.